Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Kerry and guns...

According to multiple sources, the Kerry camp issued a press release response to this in which his campaign actually said that Kerry is the first democratic nominee to support the second amendment. That is based upon recollection, because I cannot find the quote now that I am looking for it. Never mind that it is demonstrably false--even Bill Clinton has a higher regard for gun rights than Kerry-- Did I read that correctly, or was it a joke?

To say you support the second amendment is like saying you support the first amendment. So what! What is important is what you think the second amendment means. Good luck trying to pin him down. One question I would love to hear in the debates: "Senator Kerry, do you think the phrase "of the people" in the second amendment means the same thing that it does in the fourth amendment (you know, Patriot Act, and all that)".

I have only ever seen Kerry in pictures with a shotgun of some sort, the only type of gun he apparently believes is protected by the second amendment. I will take John Kerry's "support" of the second amendment seriously when I see him shooting at silhouette targets with a Glock and hear him talking about his support of right to carry laws.